Back to allotment business today. We managed to spend some time on the plot this weekend getting as many of the small jobs done as possible to keep the next week free for fruit cage business.
First off we finally planted out the Oca that had been getting a little pot-bound in the greenhouse. Here it is next to the sweetcorn we planted out last week.
We also got the leeks in the ground. I'm never quite sure how people make the holes required for these, every year soil crumbles back into mine as soon as I remove the dibber thing I use to make them. Anyway, we managed, kinda, and they seem happy enough. Will have to remember to earth them up a bit this year to try and make them a bit longer.
Next we gave the whole of the plot a good hoe and dug over most of the gaps in the brasica bed. Here's the parsnips which seem to have settled in nicely after looking a bit weak and wobbly for a while after they went in the ground.
Now it's time to knuckle down and get the fruit cage area sorted. There's a lot of ground to clear, the posts from the old netted tunnel removed and then the soil needs rotovating in preperation. As you can see it's a bit of a mess at the moment (and has been since we inherited the plot) so there's lots to do this week.