Monday 26 November 2007

Onions! At last....

Better late than never we finally managed to get the onions planted out this weekend. Ok, so they're a few weeks late and the ground will be that little bit colder now but at least they're in. With any luck they'll soon catch up as they're in a pretty sheltered place in the garden.

I also spent an age trying, with the 'help' of the kittens, to clear all the leaves from the garden. There ended up being two large black bags full, quite impressive for a small garden I thought! I know I should be composting them really but I don't have the space for a leaf compost 'thing' this year. All being well, when we've got an allotment next year things will be different, then the plentiful supply of leaves will be a blessing rather than a curse.


We're trying to encourage some more wildlife info the garden at the mo so we've got some fat balls and nuts hanging on the apple tree to entice the birds. We've seen a few Blue Tits on them already and yesterday we saw our first Robin. He stayed around for quite a while, flitting from branch to branch seemingly quite happy for me to carry on working close by, he even helpfully posed for a picture.

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, we're currently debating asking my parents for a subscription to 'Grow Your Own' magazine as a Christmas present as we've found the few issues we've bought really handy, not to mention the fact youget a free copy of 'The Allotment Book' by Andi Clevely if you subscribe at the mo. Has anyone read it? Is it any good?

No comments: